St Peter Ad Vincula, South Newington
St Mary, Adderbury
St Mary, Bloxham
St Etheldreda, Horley
St Peter, Hanwell
St John the Baptist, Burford
St Mary the Virgin, Ewelme
St Mary, Swinbrook
St Mary the Virgin, Iffley
St Mary, North Leigh
Never let the British weather put you off!
The abiding memory of Ride and Stride Saturday 2016 is RAIN and lots of it! An especially big thank you was sent to all those that braved the elements and to those who welcomed soggy and bedraggled visitors to their churches. The warm welcome, cups of hot drinks and a chance to be out of the rain for a few moments was greatly appreciated. As were the pubs where some sheltered for lunch with hot air dryers in the loos – one rider said he had spent some considerable time drying as much of him as he could that way!
The second Saturday in September usually fairs well for the weather, 2012 had a very hot Ride and Stride day. The previous significantly wet Ride and Stride day in Oxfordshire was 2005 when someone reported being ankle deep in a raging torrent! Let us hope that Saturday 9th September 2017 will be a beautifully sunny day that is not too hot.
This year the Tour of Britain cycling race will be passing through the northern part of Oxfordshire on the same day as the Ride and Stride. Further details about how this will affect Oxfordshire’s Ride and Stride will be posted on OHCT’s website once more information is known.
Ride and Stride is predominantly an event for cyclists, walkers and horse riders, but OHCT is happy to accept money raised in other ways too.
- Kirsten Holmes rode her horse Billy and took her other horse Spot with them on a leading rein.
- Tom Peers and fellow vintage tractor drivers created an interesting ‘tractor jam’ on their ride round various churches
- Anthony Lee wrote to tell us “I have a group of friends who play tennis on my court every Sunday morning when available. The agreed annual Cap is £30 for the OHCT which suits everybody as we all live in Oxfordshire.”
- Gillian Argyle spent the day visiting churches in Venice – definitely the right choice bearing in mind the weather!
- Matthew Dyer set out with his two sets of non-identical twin boys aged 6 and 5, starting off on a bike with a tandem tag along and two separate bikes. They had to abandon the bike with tag because of a puncture on Dad’s bike reverting to two scooters and Matthew walking.
- The youngest ever participant was 3 month old Sebastian whose seat had to be attached to his mother’s bike in an unusual way due to his age.
Whatever role you play in Ride and Stride – all are equally valuable and we would love you to take part. To register as a participant, for further information on what is happening in Oxfordshire, or to request a sponsorship form from your Ride+Stride Coordinator click on the link or send us an email. If you would like to donate to support the event, please visit www.justgiving.com/oxfordshirechurch.
Select another county...
We'd love to hear about your favourite churches and chapels – why not tell us about yours on our The UK's Favourite Churches Facebook page?