- Dorset rings the changes for Ride+Stride
- Join the Essex ‘Tour de Stansted’
- Oxfordshire’s Ride+Stride pride
- Ride + Stride for Churches Shropshire press launch
- Revitalising Ride+Stride in Northamptonshire in the Chenderit Benefice
- In Yorkshire it’s Ride+Stride come rain or shine
- Wiltshire – Ride+Stride helps over 500 historic churches
- Dust off your Somerset walking shoes
- Call for Dorset’s Riders + Striders
- Yorkshire Ride+Stride stalwart fondly remembered.
Dorset rings the changes for Ride+Stride
Dorset will quite literally be ringing the changes for Ride + Stride for Churches on Saturday 8 September 2018.
Bell ringers from Bradford Peverell, one of the oldest villages in Dorset which pre-dates the Roman occupation of Dorchester, will instead of simply cycling from one church to another, will this year start at Sturminster Newton and ring the church bells for about half an hour, then cycle along the North Dorset Trailway to three further churches, repeating the ringing session at Shillingstone, Stourpaine and Durweston.
They may also pop into nearby villages on the way to increase the total number of churches visited, so make sure your bells are working!
A fantastic opportunity to ring bells
The Ride + Stride for Churches 2018 ringers range from beginners to the experienced, from teenagers to those in their 60s. The whole enterprise is the brainchild of Janet Collins, an enthusiastic teacher of new ringers at Bradford Peverell.
Kate Forrester, a new bell ringer said: “I take part in Ride + Stride for Churches every year. This is a fantastic opportunity to ring some bells in different churches, which is very exciting for a beginner, whilst raising money for Dorset Historic Churches Trust!”
If you would like to take part in Ride + Stride for Churches in Dorset, please go to the DHCT website or follow the riders on Twitter @ride+stride4dorset
£86,000 raised in 2017
DHCT exists to grant-aid maintenance work (eg keeping out wind and rain) for Dorset’s churches and chapels. In recent years, annual grants awarded have been around £100,000. It’s principal source of funds is the annual sponsored Ride+ Stride for Churches round the churches & chapels of Dorset. In 2017, nearly 175 parishes took part raising £86,000.